Sunday, February 05, 2012

Project 52: 5

Motherhood is...

Challenging





Leah and I have been battling the "art" of breastfeeding. She has done great latching {after much practice} and healing sore cracked nipples. In the hospital, she was latched wrong for a whole 24 hrs{might as well have been a year for my nipples} and my nipples were already scabbed and cracked. When we got home, we had to give her formula for 48hs while I pumped to give my nipples a rest. We ended up only giving her formula for 2 meals as I was able to give her the pumped milk. I thought we were in the green after that but constant nipple pain still plagued me. I called the lactation nurses for help and set up an appointment. By this point, Leah was latching much better. I learned at the appointment that because of the antibiotics I recieved in the hospital, I had developed yeast on my nipples {totally gross, but lets me realistic people} which was the cause of the burning pain I had been feeling almost all day long. At the doctor this week, she confirmed that Leah had a yeast infection diaper rash. --Oh yea and I have decided having medical knowledge is not good when raising a baby its a curse--

As Leah turns 3 weeks today, I know things will get easier but we have definitely had our challenges. Its hard to know that YOU gave her this, but I know breast milk is way better for her and we will press on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment