
We have been wanting a dog for some time now and not just any dog a big dog. Adam really wants a german shorthair and I really wanted a blue weimaraner. This lead to several dilemmas 1 - Who gets their dog first. 2- We cant get a dog until we have a yard as these dogs get BIG. 3- We are not allowed to have a dog in our current place. So with these dilemmas we just agreed to wait, until Adam went to south georgia one weekend in August and I convinced him to let us get a dog. I got my way and we found a female blue weimaraner in Alabama and she did not cost too much. Some people are selling them for like 800 bucks and that was not in the budget. I know most people say to go to the pound or a rescue, but I really wanted a puppy. Now for the other dilemmas: we illegally have a dog in our townhouse, but we already got our deposit back and the bank owns the place so who cares. AND we plan on buying a house and moving into one in October sometime so the dog will have a yard. Oh and one quick call to the husband to discuss how I would be home for another month before starting work so we could get her potty trained. Problems solved lets get our puppy!! Now I know what you are thinking but I went and got some books from the library and read up on Weimaraners as well as raising puppies before making the big decision. But of course my decision was already made lol.


This is Kate at 8 weeks the night we brought her home. She weighed 11 pounds.
We went and picked her up in Birmingham on a thursday night and she slept in my lap the whole way home. The people we got her from had both the mom and dad on site and we were the first to pick a puppy. The puppies were in a big kennel and we got each one out to play with them. We fell in love with her instantly and although the people were a little sketchy we took her anyway.
On friday morning I took her to the vet to get her shots. The people we got her from did the shots themselves and because they had no record of this we decided to start over on shots. And then saturday while Adam was in toccoa she threw up like 12 times and became very lethargic. I panicked and adam met us at the animal emergency center. They wanted to check her for parvo, get xrays, antiemetics/fluids for the price of 500 bucks. We decided to opt for antiemetic/fluids and if she didnt get better come back. When we got home she was running all over the place I couldnt believe it. Thank goodness we didnt pay the 500 bucks.
Overall she has been a great puppy. We are still learning to go potty outside and still have accidents. I think once she learns to bark she will be able to tell us she has to go outside because she currently just goes to the door. If you dont see her going to the door then you miss it and have to clean up the "accident"
We started her in obedience classes the beginining of the month and have learned that we have been doing almost everything wrong. We have also learned that she is super smart and is picking up things really quickly.
We are both so happy we decided to get her and she has truly changed our life. OH and we had to get rid of Deeds (our guinea pig) because the books said that weimaraners will attack them, but Deeds went to a great family.
Here are some more recent pictures of Kate at 10 weeks. She is now 14 weeks and weighs 22lbs. This makes flea/tick medicine fun!


I let Kate lay in the bed with me while Adam was in memphis, she loved it but this will be her only time in the bed. Kate has been trying to get in Adams green chair and I found her like this one day. And finally meet our dog rug- she get so hot after our walks that she lays out on the kitchen floor.
No comments:
Post a Comment