Thursday, August 19, 2010

Enter the Work Force

So after 2 whole months of sitting at home with nothing to do, I have finally found a job and accepted the position. I cant say that this is my "dream" job but it is a paying one! I am excited about the position and know I will learn a TON.
After being turned down again (this time on a job that I really wanted and really thought I was going to get) I got an email from a classmate saying that Kaiser Internal Medicine hospital service was hiring. I was super excited to learn that the position was at Gwinnett Medical Center (15minutes away) AND it was with the same doctors I did my first rotation with. You see I really enjoyed internal medicine inpatient but REALLY did not want to work in a hospital- that meant weekends and holidays something I said I never wanted to do. Yes I know I would likely be on call some weekends in most jobs, but having to work is different. The husband and I decided that it was worth interviewing for the position. I called my former preceptor (he was the one in charge of hiring the new PA) and told him I was interested. The day they called for the interview, I also got a call from a dermatology office in woodstock that wanted to interview me the same day as the kaiser one. Sadly I could not do both and the dermatology interview was moved to 2 weeks from that day.
With all this, I was really praying hard that God would help me make the right decision. I knew I was going to have to tell Kaiser my decision before the derm interview. And of course that happened. I went to my Kaiser interview and they offered it to me that same day. Adam & I talked really talked about it and decided I should take the hospitalist position. This way we do not have to leave our church, we are close to Adams job (which will be important later), and we can move to Suwanee and be in the area we ultimately want to be in.
So I made the decision to put my dream dermatology career on hold (great thing about being a PA) and took the hospitalist position at Gwinnett for my family. I will be working a 7 on 7off position. I will be taking care of the Kaiser patients at Gwinnett Medical who need the internal medicine service. Sadly I do not start until September 20!! Which means I do not start for another month and a half. Holy cow, what am I going to do. Well its almost the end of August and although I am losing my mind I am managing.
Adam & I have begun our house search officially. We will be looking at houses next weekend and plan to be moved in to one by middle of October - after my first paycheck.

I am excited to see what God has in store for me and my family. And working 7on/7off will be great when we start extending our family.

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment