How do Christians celebrate Lent?
It's different in different traditions. But generally it's a time to return to Christ by cutting out all that distracts us. For some people that means giving up something like candy, TV, soft drinks, beer, cigarettes or meat as a way to purify their bodies and lives. Others take something on and collect food for the needy, volunteer once a week to help children, or decide to be kind to someone they don't like. Whatever "stuff" is given up or taken on, the intent must be to draw us closer to Christ. Lent is a resolution to simplify our lives, and to return to the One who loves us -- Jesus.
This year is a new year for me and my life with Christ. Adam & I joined a Methodist church, which was a much bigger deal than we thought. I decided to become baptized as I was never baptized as an adult/older child. I was "christened" Catholic as a baby but we never went to a catholic church. I learned about Jesus and started my walk with him at Peoples Alliance Church. So one sunday, I was baptized and we both became members of the United Methodist Church. We have "official" documents saying this so that when we move churches it will be easy- see a little more in depth.
We also started a confirmation class with 6 other six graders. We felt it would be good for us to learn more about the Methodist faith & history of the church. We are also the chaperones - lol.
Which leads me to the passage above. I have never participated in Lent I always thought it was something Catholics did. As a child, I never participated in it and really thought it was for Catholics. Now I learn that Methodists also participate. I began to research this as I felt giving up chocolate for 40 days served little purpose. I have decided that I will add things in to my life to better serve God also do some "spring cleaning" as Pastor John says. I will be going through my stuff and getting rid of things I do not need in my life. I will also start building a house for Habitat for Humanity.
So I will update you in 40 days on how my Lenten season is going. Starting with Ash Wednesday service by myself. Which is HUGE for me to go to church alone without Adam (he is traveling this week)
May God continue to bless your lives.
I love this! You're awesome :)
ReplyDelete