Sunday, February 21, 2010

General Surgery August/September

I can honestly say I was nervous about ER but I was absolutely terrified of surgery. It was not the actually surgery part but the surgeon part. We have a surgery class in school and in this class we discussed how surgeons can be really arrogant/impatient. Now you can see why I was scared and my fears became a reality when I met Dr. Butts. He was everything I was scared he would be. He was very arrogant in that he WAS the best at laproscopic hernia repairs. And after 5 weeks I can honestly say he was an amazing surgeon and if I ever need gallbladder/hernia surgery he will do it.
I learned more during this rotation than any other rotation but not from doing but from reading. He pimped (asking medical questions - purposely trying to stump/make you look stupid)me more than all the doctors I have had together. I read my whole surgery book and reviewed every surgery he did. When we were in surgery (surgeries I was only allowed to WATCH not even scrub in on) he would say "student what did you read last night?" I would tell him and he would come up with some question I had no answer to. Or he would say to the nurses in the OR lets see if the student will answer this question right for once.
Dr. Butts was a cyclist he rode for miles and was in great shape. We would have a patient on the 5th floor and he would run up the stairs. He found it great fun to see me stuggle to keep up. Sometimes he would give me crap about being in my 20's and he could beat me. Or he would dip out of the stairwell and leave me stranded - you had to have a badge to get out.
I can honestly say Dr. Butts showed me that sensitive Sara could hold her own up against a mean surgeon. By the end of the rotation, I was giving the crap back to him. Telling him what I read and asking him questions. He gave me all A's in the rotation so I guess I did something right even though he told me otherwise- daily.

When I told him I really enjoyed surgery, he informed me that I didnt need to go into this field as I needed to do the "mom" thing. I was completely disgusted with this. First off, I was in Physician assistant school clearly I am not planning to the "mom" thing. And by mom thing he meant staying at home and raising children. Second can I not be a mom and a PA. Like I said he was a real piece of work but I made it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment