Saturday, March 27, 2010

OB/GYN October 2009

Well this was the rotation I had been waiting on since the beginning not because of the specialty, but because it was with Dr. Fernandez in Toccoa. Dr. Fernandez wrote me a recommendation for PA school when I was in a bind and I really enjoyed the day I spent with him. I spent 3 weeks with him and it was pretty uneventful. I saw 2 C-section and assisted in lots of surgeries. Which I was really excited to actually get to "scrub in" and participate. Dr. Fernandez does not do vaginal deliveries because he has 3 midwives. And to my surprise, he does not allow his students do any paps. I became the nurses "buddy" or should I say "sara can do it and I can sit buddy"
After 3 weeks, I was released to the midwives. I was to be with whoever was on call. which equals 5 days of call. I spent the first day with Bethany. She was really friendly but just kinda let me follow her. That night I spent a LONG time at the hospital with a young pregnant girl who was praying her son Parker would come NOW. We saw her in the office that morning and admitted her because she was having a hard time dealing with contractions at home. We went around 5pm to check on her and then went home for dinner only to return at 7:30pm. When I got there, Bethany and mom were already pushing and getting the process going. HOURS later we were still pushing and no sign of Parker anywhere. When mom had to get her epidural I held her to keep her from panicking. And at 3am in the morning when we called Dr. Fernandez in, I held her again when she started having a panic attack because she was going to have to have a C section. I also held her hand all the way to the OR. Once in the OR we had to knock her out bc she was telling Dr. Fernandez "wait, wait hold on" from behind the sheet. I got home around 5ish just to be at the office at 8am. I was exhausted and happy day 2 on call no one called.
Day 3 through the end of my rotation I spent with April. She and I became very close and I really enjoyed the short time with her. She taught me how to do pap smears and let me write the scripts. I only saw 2 more deliveries in OBGYN. One was an older mom who was having her 3rd baby. JR was smaller than her second child and he pretty much "fell" out. I only watched this delivery as it was my first. Then came baby Corrine. I was really nervous about this mom as we went to high school together and lets just say we didnt roll with the same crowd. Mom # 3 was a little more realistic to how 1st time deliveries go. She had lots of pushing and didnt totally freak out. I got to deliver the placenta, which was a HUGE accomplishment for me. And when April was checking for blood clots, me watching INTENSELY I screamed AND jumped when a clot got some air and landed in the bag. I was completely humiliated and totally shocked, especially when it was someone I knew.

This rotation showed me that I do not want to delivery babies anymore. I had a plan of trying to get a residency in California and petition Georgia to let me deliver. PA's do not deliver babies in GA as midwives have a strong hold, there have been a few to petition the state after doing this residency. But after 5 days of being on call I learned OBGYN was not my call. It was also great birth control as I have had serious baby fever since pediatrics.

All for now, only 4 more rotations to talk about. I hope you have enjoyed my clinical life.

No comments:

Post a Comment