Wow did this time fly by fast, my last rotation is finally here. My plan was to do this rotation in Rome Ga in hope to find a job. Adam and I have decided to move up the the Calhoun area. Adam would be able to do all the work in Dalton and not have to travel anymore. I would work in Rome and we could start our family together. HOWEVER, this plan did not work out as we had planned. I agreed to work at this office in hopes to take the open PA position, but to my surprise they hired a nurse practitioner a week before my arrival. AND the doctor never knew that I was interested in the position. The human resource lady seemed to not like me very well. I went to Rome, moved into a house with 8 other girls and 3 bathrooms. The good part of it all was the doctor was really nice and found a great GI doctor for me and tried very hard to find me a job.
I went to the GI guy and he agreed that I may have an ulcer and scheduled the upper GI for 2 weeks. He again changed my protonix to Nexium - 3rd PPI. Adam came up and took me to the procedure, and as promised I dont remember a thing. AND no ulcer just gastritis. 2 more months of PPI and hopefully it will get better was the doctors orders after I went back for my followup. It did finally ease up my last week of the rotation AND I lost like 5 pounds bc I could not eat anything.
Well back to the rotation, the patients were mostly followup patients and social interaction that put us WAY behind every single day. Everyone was depressed and if they were not already she discussed the possibility.
The craziest experience I have EVER seen happened in good ole Rome. I had a patient come in drunk. That is correct she was drunk, she had an appointment and she drove herself to it drunk an all. When the nurse called her name in the waiting room, she stood up and said thats me, Im an alcoholic and Im drunk". The nurse took her to a room and then came and got us. Dr. Ammons told me to go in and talk with her and she would be in in a few minutes. I was like ugh okay I got this - yea right. I went in and the woman was hysterical she was crying and just kept holding my hands. We finally got her to agree to go to an outpatient clinic, but after following up she never went. I guess I should tell you why she was drinking, she found out her son (high school teacher/coach) has been doing and selling METH!! She was upset and stopped her Antibuse and started drinking. This only happens in Rome!!
Most of my patients were very similar to the alcoholic with the exception of the alcohol. Not the brightest, but very friendly and open to me seeing them.
thats it no more rotations, now back to school for a month for graduation. No job offers in Rome so I guess that plan fell through.
No comments:
Post a Comment