Wow I cant believe it this is my last required rotation and to be honest one that I could care less about. I have zero interest in orthopedic surgery and when school called to see if I would like to go to Athens to do this rotation. I simply replied no thank you especially when I have spent 2 rotations already away from adam plus athens was simply too far to drive back and forth from home. I told school that I would just prefer to do it in atl if I could not get it in gainesville. So I was surprised when I got to go to Gainesville and it was actually at a place that an old college friend worked at before going to med school.
So day one at Georgia Sports Orthopedic Specialist I waiting outside for the door to open with the other patients as they complained about how it was 9:01 and the door was not open. when I got there I found out that my preceptor was in the OR that day and was told to have a seat. I thought well this is cool I may get a fee day off, but then the office manager came out and led me to the other doctors. They of course like many of my rotations had no idea I was coming and unsure what to do as a new PA was about to start working in a few weeks. So now they had a student and a new PA to train. OH joy!
Although the first day was very awkward, I came back the next day ready for the OR. And by the end of the first week I was loving ortho - who knew!! This rotation was kinda crazy as PA's we spend like 2 weeks discussing ortho and we move on. And some PA schools do not even require a separate ortho rotation.
I dont have any special patients to remember, just special doctors, PAs and office staff. I truly made great friends and loved this rotation! I spent the majority with my time with the new doctor who was AWESOME!! He helped me with my suturing and truly first assist!! He was very patient with me and we seemed to get along great!!
When the time came and my rotation was over I was really excited about going to dermatology but sad to be leaving. They even got me a CAKE!! no one has ever done that for me. There was even discussion of keeping Sara as Dr Fisher's PA. Sadly this was not really true as Dr Fisher was new to the practice and not in need of one yet!
My favorite surgery was proximal humeral fractures - which means "broken shoulder" I got to assist in 3 cases. I also assisted in several distal radial fractures as it was key snow time and many people fell on wrists!!. I had some with bilateral fractures. I also got to do joint injections and casting!
Overall in this rotation I learned that I really love ortho and could def see myself doing it. But I did get a B in this rotation because Landyn was born the day of my test and I was super sleeping after spending all night in the hospital waiting for him to come PLUS they docked me points for missing a day of EOR. WELL WORTH IT!!
I almost forget the crazy lady patient. So we had this woman who I only met at lunch time -she called herself GSOS mascot. The head nurse and her were talking one day about how the nurse wanted to find some old chairs and refurbish. Later that day the woman rolled up in the office with a chair. She left it in the office - told you the woman was nuts.
No comments:
Post a Comment