Monday, June 28, 2010

Family Practice - November 2009

I am so behind in my posting but not many more rotations to discuss.

Well I was excited to find out that this rotation would be in Atlanta and Adam was going to be in the office the whole month. This means that he does not have to travel. We have realized that we have spent more days apart than together this past year so time together is a blessing. I was heading to midtown for my next rotation and super excited about family practice. ESPECIALLY after a bad Internal Medicine Outpatient remember Lagrange!!
Sadly I spent 3 whole days in Midtown before being shipped back to Toccoa more specifically LAVONIA... no more hubby and back to the in laws I went. The office in midtown was actually an HIV clinic that sees mostly homosexual males. Now before you start calling me names, understand that I need a strong family practice rotation as the majority of my boards ask questions regarding primary care. As I find HIV/AIDS very interesting it should not make up my whole rotation. Also I am not a "homophobe" or have anything against someones sexuality, BUT these guys didnt want me in the room discussing their sex lives. Let me explain, I spent the majority of my day talking to the nurses and staring at the wall because most of the patients did not want me in the room. I learned that male pap smear exist and where the oral gonoccocal cultures were located.

So Thursday morning I reported to Lavonia clinic with Dr. Johnathan Hall. I learned that this office was also Lavonia ER. Dr. Hall was amazing and by the end I felt like his actual PA and was one of my favorite rotations. We were always behind, saw every patient no matter what, and never left the office before 5:30 (last pt was supposed to be 4:30). My most memorable case was on a tuesday (bc Dr. Fernandez was there) and the nurse came up to me and asked where the doc was and informed me there was a patient in the waiting room with a chainsaw laceration. I was like "he needs to go to the ER' I went to the waiting room to find a 20something yr old with this laceration under his chin/neck area. Of course he had a white t-shirt on and it was covered in blood. I told him he needed the ER and he informed me he didnt have the money and if Dr. Hall didnt fix it he was just going to put a bandaid on and go to the house. OKAY fine lets get you out of the waiting room. Dr. Hall cleans him up and starts to suture the wound as I tend to the other filled patients room. We tell them we have an emergency and they could wait or come back. We again worked through lunch and Dr. Hall informed me that it was a close one as the wound came close to important arteries. I saw the patient 2 other times to check on the wound. Just another crazy day at Lavonia Clinic. Dont worry I did see many regular family practice patients but nothing compares to the emergencies. Positive tuberulosis skin test, a human bite, and all the crazy patients from my OBGYN rotation.

Another rotation down!
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment