Suwanee Pediatrics was where I spent my second rotation and where I learned that I do NOT want to work in peds. I was at this rotation during the allergy and asthma season and that is all I saw. I did however learn to love this rotation but it sure was rough in the beginning. I saw more patients in one day than in any other rotation and the doc was never there on time and we were always HOURS behind. Pediatrics is one of the lowest paid specialty in medicine so the doctor overbooked her office (3+ pts in one time slot). Every morning I got there I put patients in rooms, sent them to the lab, and saw them before the doc got there.
I didnt see anything really fun, but I did have twins I will never forget. They were 4yr old boy & girl that I had to do their well child checkup (again something I did a TON of). They were freaking cute. During the exam, I was listening to the girls heart/lungs and the little boy lifted up his shirt and said "me". I learned that 4 year olds were my favorite. They were very interested in me and my stethoscope.
The biggest thing that come from this rotation was the nurse practitioner. I knew the time would come when I would have to justify my decision to become a PA, but I did not want to have this conversation with her. I should preface that she was very insecure about herself and that was probably why she asked/said what she did. She felt that she knew soo much more than a simple PA as she was a nurse before she become a NP. I have big issues with this comment as the duties of a nurse and how they are trained are much different than a nurse practitioner/PA/MD. Dont get me wrong I know plenty of nurse practitioners that are very smart but she was just a bad example.
I did however not get sick during this rotation which is amazing as the office had no place to wash hands or alcohol anywhere. I carried a small bottle in my pocket and used it like crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment